BECOME A MENTEE
‘Do not wait for leaders; do it alone, person to person’ – Mother Teresa.
Travel Industry Mentor Experience is open to anyone who has been employed in the Travel and Tourism industry for 2 years or more, and/or is employed in a mid-management (team leader, operations manager, manager) role.
Our mentoring program is recommended for people looking to:
- Develop new skills, confidence and identify areas for professional growth
- Enhance career opportunities and have a more strategic career plan
- Gain or increase knowledge of organisational culture, structure and process
- Develop new ways of thinking and problem solving
- Increase their job satisfaction and access new networks
Reciprocity – A recipe for success
The TIME program is focused on mentoring relationships that are ‘mentee-driven’. Each successful applicant is matched with a Mentor on the basis of pertinent business skills and experience that will enable them to offer relevant advice and perspective.
Proactive behaviours by mentees are critical to the success of relationships with their mentors.
Although mentors might be selected on the basis of particular competencies, what matters in terms of the relationship is the quality of reciprocity within each mentoring pair.
The difference between mentoring and coaching
While coaching and mentoring share some qualities, mentoring provides career guidance and longer-term support, as opposed to the relatively short-term and performance-related focus of coaching.
They are synergistic and complementary.
The Mentor role versus a Manager’s role
Mentoring is not intended to replace the role and influence of the mentee’s manager at work, it simply plays a complementary part.
Whilst a manager may be responsible for setting work goals and ensuring they are achieved, a mentor will focus on overall career development and support.
Mentors and mentees are matched using the criteria contained in the TIME Application form.
With a pool of experienced executives from a broad range of disciplines, the matching process considers not only the participant’s needs and aspirations but also any possible corporate conflict of interest.
Each mentee will be contacted to ensure they’re comfortable with their initial match before confirming that selection.
The Program Coordinator is available to help mentees determine their program goals.
Successful TIME program applicants typically have the following characteristics:
- A respect for learning
- A preparedness to accept responsibility for their own growth and development
- Willingness to participate and be challenged
- An eagerness to bring issues and challenges for discussion
- An ability to approach the relationship with respect and openness
- Availability, commitment and attendance at the mentoring meetings, workshops and networking gatherings.
Whilst no two mentees are the same, TIME focuses on five core outcomes.
- Purpose: Career goals set and a plan to achieve these goals
- Personal development: Knowledge of self, abilities, behaviours, communication and leadership skills
- Business skills: Understanding the business environment and skills required to manage a profitable business
- Understanding management challenges: Business finance; data and knowledge assets; evaluation and estimation; and risk management
- Leadership: Problem-solving and decision making; planning and innovative thinking; ethics and fairness in the workplace.
A confidentiality agreement will be signed.
Confidentiality is essential to enable the mentee to be open and ensure the kind of genuine relationship necessary for success. Confidentiality ground rules are that nothing can be discussed outside the relationship without the other parties’ agreement (aside from legal obligations).
A code of practice for mentoring will also be made available.
Payment plan for mentees
In addition to scholarships, a payment plan for mentee fees is available for mentees paying their own mentee fee.
This is not applicable to company payments
Contact the program manager for further details.
To take the next step towards becoming a TIME mentee click here to download the expression of interest form.